Find it Fast

Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Lift and Shift program by Jessica Smith


I am so excited to be writing a review of this new program by Jessica, you can find all the info hereSign up for the new round is from June 21st to 28th!
 
I have been working out with Jessica since about 2008 and I was thrilled to hear she was releasing a new program.  I have gone through many of her programs including all 3 rotations of her Walk Strong programs, which I loved.  This one not only takes things to a new level but brings an entire new element focusing on mental health.  This is the SHIFT portion of this routine and something that I have really been working on in my own personal life the last several years.
 
I have done a heavy weight workout on her YouTube channel and absolutely loved it and was always wanting more.  This program offered that and so much more!  I completed most of the program with 15, 12 and 8 lb weights.  Month 1 I used 10 lbs but realized it was not quite enough and after not being able to find 12 lb weights anywhere, I literally zip-tied a pair of 2 lb weights to my 10 lb.  Whatever works. 😉  I wasn't able to find the gliders so just used the paper plates as recommended and they also worked like a charm.  I also didn't really have a step, so used my daughters step stool.  Here is a link provided by Jessica on her page for the equipment used.

Most of the movement I have done usually are around 30 mins, so when I purchased this, I was shocked that most were around 50 mins.  After beginning the program I was amazed how quickly the time flew.  The workout rotation is 12 weeks and while month 1 you spend time learning the workouts, month 2 I really got comfortable with them and pushed my limits, it was month 3 was truly a challenge.  I really felt like that third month wrapped the program up well and made me truly feel the progress.

Now while this is a strength focused routine, most of the sessions are in a circuit format so you get a pretty good cardio effect in each one.  One of the best parts of this program is the "rep range".  Most of the workouts when I started, I was frustrated that I couldn't do as many reps as I wanted.  BUT I am happy to say I pushed past that and by the end of the program I could complete almost every rep...with the exception of a few in my weaker areas.
 
Now to the best part, the different workout sessions.  I want to just briefly give my experience with each as to help you see what is in store with each one!

Session 1: Total Body Strength (50 mins)
We started the rotation with this one and it quickly became one of my favorite.  You work through each of the sets once through fully then have the option to do a second round, or if you are short on time or energy just stop at the one.  I found that when I made it through the first that even though my muscles were tired, Jessica always made me feel like I could just finish number two.

Session 2: Fine Toning (31 mins)
Now this one was a relief...after the heavy weight days you pick up a pair of light weights and do some deeper work in those muscles and joints to help support on the heavier weight days.  This workout was gold to me andI always smiled when this one came up in the rotation.  I also love when we go barefoot and really work the feet and ankles.  I struggle with tendonitis and these workouts always help me gain strength and stability in the joints so that flareups are less.
 

Session 3: Total Body Definition (51 mins)
This session really focused on balance, working opposite muscle groups.  This one really helped me focus on form and alignment so as to work the correct muscles in the movements.  It also really keeps you moving as you are working different muscle groups so rest time is limited which give that cardio effect.  Overall a great strengthening routine to help balance out the body.

Session 4: Total Body Stamina (41 mins)
This one was really a fun one.  It is a bit shorter AND you only have 6 strength moves that you focus on and you repeat them 3 times.  What makes this one a beauty is that she changes the tempo with each round...and I really think she saved the hardest for last...or maybe my muscles were just fatigued.  I still haven't decided on that one. 😜  Maybe I will try it backwards sometimes and see what happens.

Session 5: Mobility Moves - Wind down (21 mins)
This one really focused on mobility in the muscles and joints.  It helped to relieve tight and tense muscles that we create on our strength days.  It was a beautiful way to well, wind down on a tense day.  It sure helped release stress after a rough day at work as well.

Session 6: Lower Body Circuit (42 mins)
I have done many lower body circuits with Jessica but this one...it was a whole new level.  The first time I attempted it, the pause button was my best friend.  I couldn't believe how much my heart rate elevated and by the end noodle didn't really describe my lower half...if it weren't for my bone, I believe puddle would have been the best description.  Truly a tough one but by the 12 week mark the improvement was astounding!

Session 7: Upper Body Circuit (44 mins)
Upper body, while I love these ones, I didn't realize how weak it was until this program.  The upper back muscles in particular were very weak.  At the end of this rotation I had moved from 5 lb weights for the upper back up to 8 lb and can definitely tell the difference in my posture.  I know this may seem trivial but for a gal that has been trying to do push-ups since, well 2008, I can officially do a few full push-ups!!💪

Session 8: Core Control (15 mins)
Ah, core control.  Core work is always one that I enjoyed as after having kids and less than active teen years is one that needs some work.  This one uses a small workout or playground ball to get deep into the core muscles and pelvic floor to help with stability and strength.  This one was always a joy to come around to and was nice yet tough to do.

If it is not the pups hanging around it is the little one!

Session 9: Total Body Circuit (54 mins)
Now I think I have said this about a few of them but this again was yet another one of my favorites.  This focuses on 5 primary movements within the body that we do everyday.  Who knew that there could be a workout that would help me bend down and pick up the endless mess that the kids and dogs make.  I love to do functional exercises that help make everyday tasks easier to perform and to be able to feel the change in my body.  Yes, picture me moving more slowly just to feel the new strength in my muscles. 😝

Session 10: Mobility Moves - Wake up (21 mins)
This workout, I am going to say it, another favorite.  Not only did my body feel nice and awake after this one but my mind felt open and aware as well.  This was a lovely one to do on Saturday morning after a tough work week.  I never am able to do them early throughout the week or I would add it in more often.  This one has a particular movement that focuses on balance that I really enjoyed.  Loved to see the improvement there!

Session 11: High Intensity Interval Resistance Training "HIIRT" (52 mins)
Last session of HIIRT, whew!
Where Fine Toning made me smile...I will say this one caused a groan almost every time it came up.  The first time I did this session I was super disappointed.  I have done HIIT for years but it pales in comparison to HIIRT.  By the end of the 12 weeks, while I would still do a mental eye roll when I would see it, I am happy to tell you the last time I only had to pause it twice.  The improvement with this one is real! 💦
 
Session 12: Core Challenge (11 mins)
Last but not least!  This one was a doozy.  Where core control helped work deep within the muscles, this one provides just as it says a challenge.  The first few times through this one...I won't lie I spent 1/2 of the reps laying there saying "You have got to be kidding me Jess."  Yet another one that showed great improvement throughout the program

Bonus: Express Stretch (5 mins)
I didn't do this one much because I would do Yin Yoga on my active rest days.  But nothing beats a quick stretch routine, especially after some of these intense weight days!

Ultimately, this program was well worth the purchase and I intend on completing it again, this time with heavier weight.  The way she completes this program is through the emails received each week and the focus at the start of each month to help with the SHIFT aspect.  For so long exercise was for me, and many others I am sure, all about the calorie burn.  She takes this to another level with support for the mind as well as the body.
 
I know this is one I will return to time and again to continue to grow and improve.  As Jessica says "Focus on the LIFT and your life will SHIFT".  I know this program helped do that for me!  I hope you join the next round starting June 28th!  You won't regret it! 😁

No comments:

Post a Comment